I would like to share the following with the wise members of the group.
While I was doing my MBA i did a project on Old aged people, I interviewed some 100 people above the age of 80. Most were in the middle income group. About 60% were staying alone and somewhat able to look after themselves and about 40 % were staying with children.
Those 40% who were staying with children were more unhappy then those staying alone. Those staying alone were also also slightly unhappy but the reasons they gave for unhappiness varied drastically.
- Feeling of Isolation
- Lack of maids or domestic help issues.
- Health problems ( like how to go to doctor etc)
Old staying with children were unhappy because of:
- Lack of attention from son/daughter-in-law.
- Lack of understanding between the families.
- Children / grandchildren misbehaving.
- Children fritter away their money.
- Children going away and telling them to manage the house.
- Lack of freedom to do what they want to do. Too many conditions imposed on them.
- Children want them to be like watch dogs.
- Children ordering them to do sundry work… like buy grocery, vegetable, milk
Considering the above issues when I asked them if they would like to stay in well managed old age homes. To my surprise they all agreed. They were ready to pay 50% of their pension…..