Clip_130Shocking injuries of Sikh woman stabbed in the eyes by her father-in-law who accused her of having an affair with a Muslim as he is jailed for 10 years. Jageer Mirgind’s eyes gouged with knife and wrists slashed in violent assault.

Manjit Singh Mirgind, 51, attacked her claiming she had ‘ruined his family’. He became angry when he became convinced she was ‘sleeping with a Paki’. Victim’s children witnessed the horrific ordeal and pleaded for him to stop. Mrs Mirgind has been left blind, scarred and with a stutter following attack.

Mirgind jailed for ten years and eight months at Snaresbrook Crown Court in England.


He eventually left and went home as his wife called an ambulance for Mrs Mirgind. He later turned himself in at the police station and told them exactly what had happened.

Judge Nigel Peters QC said: ‘You have accepted that you have caused the most serious injuries to your daughter-in-law.

‘You set about her having taken umbrage because you felt she was having affairs when it turned out she had been receiving prank calls.

‘You set out with great hostility and vengeance – you punched her, forced to the ground and kicked her and took knives to her face and wrist to gouge her eyes.

‘She has since lost a lot of sight in both eyes and there is major scarring to her face.

Clip_147The attack occurred at the victim’s home in Kensington Gardens, Ilford, but she has since moved to Nottingham

‘She has a stutter as well, most likely caused by the loss of confidence and lack of sleep and general work.

‘So distressing was that her children, your grandchildren, witnessed it from start to finish and pleaded with you to stop but you did not stop.’

Father-of-four Mirgind stared at the floor as he was jailed for ten years and eight months at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

Crown lawyer Jonathan Turner said Mrs Mirgind’s children had suffered, having begged the defendant to stop and they saw the blood everywhere.

‘Their life has changed and they cannot sleep alone while the marriage of their parents has disintegrated.’

Mrs Mirgind has since moved to Nottingham with her two children.

The court heard the defendant Mirgind had been a leading member of the Sikh community and often drove young worshippers to the temple.

Clip_147In a statement read out to Snaresbrook Crown Court, pictured, Mirgind said he was ‘stressed out’ at the time

In a statement read by his lawyer Edward Boateng-Addo, he said: ‘I am a hard-working family man who left his job to care for his ill mother seven years ago.

‘I was stressed out at the time and nothing can excuse what I did.

‘I was trying to protect her – I am a peaceful and honest man and I know I will not have the chance to apologise but I do look to the court to say how sorry I am.

He had initially been charged with attempted murder but prosecutors later accepted a plea of causing grievous bodily harm with intent in order to avoid having to go to trial.

Mirgind, of Mayfair Avenue, Ilford, admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

A single count of attempted murder has been left to lie on the court file.