The muck at the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC), instead of getting cleared is increasing. The Nawaz Sharif government is clueless, and the Health Minister who is daughter in law of a former hand-picked president Rafiq Tarrar, is proving to be a failure in handling the mafia in the PMDC.
Recently, the PMDC has stopped 17 public and private sector medical colleges from admitting students for the 2015-16 session for being critically deficient in faculty and other facilities.
Besides, the PMDC has recommended to the Ministry of National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination to order closure of four of the colleges for constantly violating rules and regulations.
The PMDC decision has sent a shockwave among students and the administration of colleges as the admission process is to start in coming weeks.
The closure of four institutions will put the future of hundreds of students at stake.
Eight of the 17 colleges are in Punjab, four each in public and private sectors.
Test for admission to government-run medical and dental colleges in Punjab has been scheduled on August 30, 2015.
The PMDC has advised parents and students to confirm the status of medical colleges before seeking admission to them.
In a letter sent to the Health Services Ministry on June 25, the PMDC has listed the colleges which have been stopped from holding the admission process. They are:
- Sahiwal Medical College,
- Dera Ghazi Khan Medical College,
- Abbottabad International Medical College,
- Abbottabad Women Medical College,
- Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al-Nahyan Medical College, Lahore;
- Shaikh Zayed Medical College, Rahim Yar Khan;
- Rashid Latif Medical College, Lahore;
- Pak Red Crescent Medical and Dental College, Lahore;
- University College of Medicine and Dentistry, Lahore;
- Hashmat Medical and Dental College, Gujrat;
- Al-Razi Medical College, Peshawar;
- Mohammad Bin Qasim Dental and Medical College, Karachi;
- Federal Medical and Dental College, Islamabad;
- Pak International Medical College, Peshawar;
- Indus Medical College, Tando Mohammad Khan (Sindh);
- Islamic International Medical College, Rawalpindi; and
- Department of Dentistry, Bacha Khan Medical College, Mardan.
The medical and dental colleges whose closure has been recommended are:
Pak Red Crescent Medical and Dental College, Lahore;
Hashmat Medical and Dental College, Gujrat; Al-Razi Medical College, Peshawar; and
Sahiwal Medical College.
The Council has said that the Dera Ghazi Khan Medical College and the Department of Dentistry, Bacha Khan Medical College, Mardan, were functioning without recognition, a violation of rules and regulations.
In separate letters to the provincial health departments and the vice-chancellors and principals concerned, the PMDC has urged them to ensure implementation of its decision.
It is being said that the permission to these Colleges was granted by the previous PMDC management and the new one led by Dr Asim who was Asif Zardari’s petroleum minister and helped him make some commission while there is now extensively meddling in the PMDC affairs.